Tuesday, March 6, 2007

An American moment




By David Alvord

Two weeks ago, I was skiing in Park City, Utah. I met a man who wore an official 2002 Olympic ski uniform...and after a little conversation he told me that he served on the Salt Lake Olympic organizing committee. "Did you ever meet Mitt Romney?" I asked. The man said that he had interacted with Romney several times and that what impressed him most was how Mitt never acted like he was "above anybody". He then told me a story about a time during the Olympics that there was a need to direct some traffic. Instead of making calls and waiting for help, Mitt stepped up and did it himself. "He didn't let his position get to his head".

This little anecdote just adds to my admiration of Mitt Romney and also caused me to reflect on the 2002 Olympics. One of the most memorable moments of the Olympics was the presentation of the American Flag that flew at ground zero during the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. This sublime ceremony was conducted by President Bush, Mitt Romney, and Jacques Rogge.

As officer Daniel Rodriguez (NYPD) sang a beautiful rendition of God Bless America, I felt chills go down my spine. This was a moment that I would never forget...for it was an American moment.

No comments: